[ubuntu-art] We *will* create a new icon set for Ubuntu.

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue Sep 2 16:42:43 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 10:26 -0400, Cory K. wrote:

> We start with a base Oxygen set and replace the icons as suitable ones
> are created.  Only really using Oxygen as a style guideline. The idea is
> to create a modern a set as Oxygen but with that distinctly Human feel.
> (minus the Tango outline) :P

One of the aims being to get away from the heavy tango outlines is
reason enough to choose oxygen as a base, I suppose.

> This is all very early and still needs lots of discussion but I'm
> gettin' the ball rollin'.
>
> So. Name, thoughts?

Breath or Breeze would be ok. Inhale makes me think of certain
substances, but maybe that's ok, too :)

= Ideas for the early stages =

Define a set of background colours to make sure the icons will look
alright against Ubuntu themes. This should also have the effect to set a
certain tendency in the palette, without defining it directly.
(It should be evaluated, if icons can be adapted to varying backgrounds
simply by applying gradation curves)

Create abstract icons like a sphere and a box to give an idea about
perspective and lighting.

Define the virtual environment: Lighting and surfaces that are hinted at
in reflections. It seems Human and Oxygen assume light straight from
above. This simplifies shadows. I think the default theme and the icons
should assume the same light direction.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: