[ubuntu-art] We *will* create a new icon set for Ubuntu.

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 2 15:26:15 BST 2008

Now don't let the title fool you. This effort is meant to start as a set
born from our community. Aiming for a default replacement but not
Dependant on it. :)

So I have talked to a couple of people around here about basing a set on
Oxygen and combining it with elements of Human. An idea made public with
the "Folder Icon challenge." thread.
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-art/2008-September/007559.html)

We start with a base Oxygen set and replace the icons as suitable ones
are created.  Only really using Oxygen as a style guideline. The idea is
to create a modern a set as Oxygen but with that distinctly Human feel.
(minus the Tango outline) :P

I will be setting up the infrastructure using wiki/bzr/PPA/Launchpad to
handle it all. Including packaging. All submissions will be to the list
and I will manage the uploading.

Here is an *early example* of what the wiki page will look like:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Artwork/UbuntuStudioIconSet The
idea will be that all the images will be in BZR and linked to in the
wiki page. That way, when BZR is updated, so will the wiki page.

I had wanted to use the name "Breath" because I liked the tagline
"Because humans need oxygen" but I'm unsure. Maybe "Inhale"?

As far as puttin' KDE in GNOME I don't care. If I have my way all of the
icons will be replaced anyway. The plan will be to write a very
thoughtful and credit-giving announcement to the KDE crowd once we have
some semblance of a release.

I plan on handling *ALL* of the *technical* duties around this effort.
Which is what seems to be lacking the most around alot of our work. So
what we will need after that is intelligent, informed discussion along
with great artistic work from the folks we have around here and anyone
else we can bring into the fold.

This is all very early and still needs lots of discussion but I'm
gettin' the ball rollin'.

So. Name, thoughts?

-Cory K.