[ubuntu-art] Wubi Website Artwork

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 09:35:25 BST 2008

2008/10/8 Thomas L.G <thomlie at online.no>

> vs at pb.cz skrev:
> > I have to say, I don't like the idea. One of the main wubi tasks is to
> > show to the user that he can leave the world of windows. And normally,
> you
> > are leaving using doors, not windows. The picture of the window makes me
> > feel that I am somewhere where I can't leave the room, even if there is
> > beautiful landscape outside.
> > So exactly the oposite of that what wubi should actually do.
> >
> > Vit Svarc
> >

> That's your interpretation of it. My interpretation when I saw the image
> was different. I saw a room with a window representing MS Windows. The
> room itself creates limits with its walls, and your only glimpse at
> freedom is through the window. I want to fly through the window, out of
> the walls and limits, towards the free landscape, green grass, the world
> of linux and open source/free software :)
>
> In that sense I think it's a bit sarcastic as well, in the terms that
> WUBI is "linux inside a Windows box", like "limited freedom". In the
> photo the viewer is positioned inside the walls, and only gets a glimpse
> of the freedom.

Yes :-) This is exactly why I actually love this illustration. This subtle
sarcasm is spot on :-)

Perhaps removing the wall from the image to make a transparent bg will make
it easier to integrate into websites. If one wanted to strengthen the
sarcastic note subtle semi-transparent outlines of bricks could be added as
a wall.

--
Cheers,
Mikkel