[ubuntu-art] Symmetry (was: Breathe drive-optical)

spg76 sebastianporta at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 19:38:04 BST 2008

2008/10/4 Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ at freenet.de>

> On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 21:06 -0300, spg76 wrote:
>
> >  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/BreatheIconSet/Submissions
>
> > I updated the icon for drive-optical in the wiki. I gonna have to redo
> > the small icons (mostly 22px and 16px)  but I just wanna show you what
> > I got.
>
> Good. The shadow is a bit strong perhaps, but we will have to tweak
> shadows once there are more icons, anyway. There's something wrong with
> the right side of the CD tray.
>

> When I want to make sure shapes are symmetrical, I create a rectangle ad
> place it above the half of the shape that I want to remove.
>
> One way to do so is to create the rectangle with half the width (or
> height) of the plate to align it to the plate.
>
> Then I subtract the rectangle from the shape (select both, make sure
> rectangle is above the shape, hit Ctrl-Shift-Minus).
>
> Copy the shape, past in-place (Ctrl-Alt-V). Mirror the half and align it
> to meet the other at what will be the middle (Ctrl-Alt-A brings up the
> Align and Distribute panel).
>
> Finally join with Ctrl-Shift-Plus.
>

> In principal, one could use a clone of the half to have symmetry at all
> times, but then you can't use one gradient for the complete shape.
>
> From
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/211894
> it seems there's a solution as part of the technical drawing tool in the
> development version of Inkscape.
>

> --
> Thorsten Wilms
>
> thorwil's design for free software:
> http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

Thanks for your tips, Thorsten.
I wasn't very happy with the first version of the icon, mostly because on
the small sizes doesn't look very well. I made a new version with another
perspective (is in the wiki now) from which the small sizes should look
good. To make sure of the symmetry I used guides and I think that turned out
well.
Still the icon could be better but if you all like it I made the small sizes
and try to refine the bigger one.
--
Seba (AKA spg76)
http://www.ubuntu-ar.org