[ubuntu-art] Inspiration mockups.

Who mailforwho at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 4 13:51:46 BST 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Rico Sta. Cruz <dropbox at ambiescent.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> Just want to show everyone a few things I've been working on. Note that
> these aren't proposed Ubuntu mockups or anything, just more of a "let's see
> if anything inspiring can come out of it" thing.
>
> Just sharing. I hope one of these can inspire someone out there.
>
> #1) Sin
> I've always thought that something interesting can come out of using
> textures. Here's a quick test.
> http://customize.org/download/screenshots/57766/57576/Sin._(WIP).jpg

this one is really nice - kinda makes me think of piano's or other
musical instruments... I think this is the strongest of the posted
themes
> #2) Bamboo
> What about taking that textures further (to the point of overkill)? Also,
> what about thick borders?
> http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7209/bamboosk4.jpg

I like this but I agree, overkill. I think perhaps only overkill
because you've got so many different textures going on. If you
simplified it to only the one in the menu or title bar I think it'd be
really nice...

> #3) Studio (!)
> Here's a refinement of Bamboo to fit the Ubuntu Studio brand somehow. (_MMA_
> are you listening? :)
> http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/263/studiomd0.jpg

Again, this is really cool. I like the piano-ish black. Also I think
sticking to s single colour/texture combo might be nice...

> #4) Spirit
> How about excessive use of gradients?
> http://dump.ambiescent.com/i/spirit-test-2.jpg
> http://dump.ambiescent.com/i/spirit-test-3.jpg

Not as good as those others, but still nice. You might need to think
about implementability on these before going much further... Have you
ideas on that?