[ubuntu-art] Contrast problems with dark themes - was: murrine in intrepid

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri May 30 15:41:20 BST 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 6:09 AM, Emrah Ünal <eunall at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> A while ago, I made another hybrid (pixmap-clearlooks) theme, with
> darker colors, called "Sauna-Dark":
>
> http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Sauna-Dark?content=80633

I agree with Mikkel, this is nice work. One comment I'd like to add is
that I had to strain a bit to read the text. By lightening it up there
will be more contrast and it will be easier to read.

A potential problem with a dark theme is that the light (white)
content areas will be quite bright compared to the chrome/ui. Taking
your eyes off of something very light and focusing on something very
dark will require a moment for the eyes to adjust. (think of walking
from a sunny area into a dark room) This may need some good user
testing.

Also testers should probably look at this with their screen's
brightness at different levels. When I unplug my laptop my screen's
brightness decreases to 50 - 60% to save power. A low contrast theme
will be very hard to see in that condition.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode