[ubuntu-art] New Wave

Nick Russell thatnickrussell at googlemail.com
Thu May 15 16:53:43 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 18:18 +0300, Anton Kerezov wrote:

> В 15:57 +0100 на 15.05.2008 (чт), Nick Russell написа:
> > On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 22:31 +1000, Nicholas Kraak wrote:
> > > In terms of Usplash, someone mentioned a smooth splash screen
> > > similar to the Mac OS X startup splash where the loading bar moves
> > > smoothly. We may not be able to do that much be our usplash
> > > seriously needs changing, its ugly as hell. You may consider looking
> > > at Fedora's and OpenSuSE's spash screen, both are very smooth and
> > > beautiful. However, if we're going to stick to something simple, I
> > > quite like Linux Mint's Splash screen.

I definitely think simple is the way to go, but I'm not a fan of any of
those usplash examples personally. They all rather busy. I prefer a
black background with just the logo, progress bar (and 'ubuntu', if
necessary). Any thoughts people? Any other good designs out there on the
net?

> > > Any thoughts?
> > >
> > > -Nicholas
> >
> > I've added a slightly simpler usplash concept to the wiki, scroll down
> > to Concept 2.
>
> Very good work. Can the corners of the Ubuntu logo be anti-aliased for a
> smoother image? Btw I like the first concept because it is more original
> (no OS will have such a uspalh). Can a fade-in animation be used to show
> different parts of the logo (ex. the red dot then the other part below
> and so on)? I think we can add gradients to the logo so that it looks
> better. For a reference color palette look at the wiki - Pallete
> section:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/NewWave

You're quite right, the logo/text definitely needs anti-aliasing. To be
honest I'm not much of an artist, these are just rough mockups of ideas
I've had (influenced by ideas I've seen elsewhere). I probably will
anti-alias and generally touch up the mock-ups, but as for making it
look really professional, and indeed making the real thing that would
have to be done by someone who knows a thing or two about usplash....
Anyone like that on this list who might want to take up one of these
concepts, or come up with their own for Intrepid? Failing that, any good
guides to making usplashes on the net? I could learn...

> gp wrote:
> > Anton,
> > have you already registred the project-theme in LP ?
> > Othewise, we could try. I think it's very important for developed in a
> > right way for thinking that it can be considered a possible default.
> >
> > I never registred a LP project but  I think that I can try to help
> > you.
>
> I haven't registered it because don't know to and I've never done this
> before. It is a good idea though and I will see what I can do about it.
> Can anybody help? Cory, Who, Kenneth?

Just found these guides via recent planet ubuntu re setting up a
launchpad project

http://jam-bazaar.blogspot.com/2007/03/11-steps-to-creating-new-launchpad.html

http://jam-bazaar.blogspot.com/2008/05/creating-new-launchpad-project-redux.html