[ubuntu-art] New Wave (Engine)

Conn subpsyke at eircom.net
Tue May 13 17:04:33 BST 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>  Thing is, if you can't push the changes upstream and have to fork, you
>  *need* to have this packaged and put into Ubuntu (or any distro) if you
>  expect the engine to gain traction. Needing people to compile the engine
>  themselves will harm adoption. I will also say, Ubuntu will not accept
>  this as a patch to Clearlooks.

Remember that Ubuntulooks essentially began as a fork of Clearlooks.
Now we are "stuck" with this unmaintained engine, while Clearlooks
remains well-maintained and (slowly but surely) has had new features
and styles introduced.

If all this NewLook fork does is apply slight changes to the
Clearlooks engine, I would suggest you forget about it and adopt a
"hybrid" theme, using only well-maintained engines (clearlooks,
murrine), or even use "pixmap" as a placeholder to make a convincing
case for a new style to be added to the official Clearlooks (or
possibly Murrine) engine.

To modify an existing engine means that it becomes yet another fork
with a few new features. That's nice, but what happens in six months
time when the person who created this fork gets bored, and the patches
stop applying cleanly to the Clearlooks engine? This is a serious
technical issue that should not be ignored.

Conn