[ubuntu-art] mac-unt-ista?

maxter at email.it maxter at email.it
Thu May 8 21:57:07 BST 2008

> The other trouble with transparency everywhere is the desktop theme
> then relies Entirely on the being a compositing window manager,
> preferably doing some kind of alpha blur. Without one, the theme is
> going to look quite uninteresting; that very common (likely majority)
> section of users not running Compiz are definitely being ignored
> there. Needs a tiny bit of work in that direction :)

this is not true
metacity, from the version already included in hardy, provides a builtin
compositor that makes shadowing, alpha blur and more (also a graphic task
switcher) etc. etc.
it should be sufficient to activate the right option in gconf.

> I, for one, like New Wave because it works happily with Metacity,
> looks better with Metacity + compositing, and looks great with Compiz
> (for those who can stand the thing as a window manager).

with metacity compositor also the Clear Intrepid Theme, being based mostly
on transparencies, will look great and it doesn't need 3d acceleration at
all, so it can be run also on limited hardware resources.

> Besides, when the theme is theoretically borrowing from /both/
> desktops, I don't think it's fair to call it a rip-off of either!
> Borderless windows have a clear advantage over thickly bordered
> windows in the realm of looking pretty, since it does not impose the
> window decorator's arbitrary and unchanging presence all over the
> place (*cough* Vista -transparency), instead letting the contents of a
> window control its overall appearance. Err, it looks better... One
> disadvantage is that resizing a window requires clicking on a one
> pixel wide border. (Methinks someone should talk to the Metacity folks
> about that; it shouldn't be tough to fix).

this is why i hate the mac borderless windows.... all the time i worked with
a mac, i found really frustrating to not be able to resize the width of a
windows

> Here, the
> menu is visibly divided from the rest of a window's content by joining
> it with the titlebar (alas, artificially), which gives a neat effect.
> I think a few benefits there are simplicity (no redundant buttons to
> press; the menu is there for those who want it), and a clear depiction
> of what the menu is by joining it with something else like it: A rigid
> and ever-present object that can be handy, but needn't be played with
> at all.

i agree with you, this is the most interesting idea of New wave Theme and i
think it should be considered as default.
this is what i was trying to point to with my first post of this thread.

Max

 Sponsor:
 Scopri le tue passioni con Leonardo.it!

 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=7656&d=20080508