[ubuntu-art] Life After a Dated Style WAS: ubuntu-art Digest, Vol 35, Issue 6

Troy James Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Sat May 3 19:34:57 BST 2008

Julian Oliver wrote:
> i agree, it is pretty tired now.

You have _no_ idea how refreshing it is to _finally_ be reading this on
this list.

Honestly, when sabdfl was trying for glossy hell back on Dapper / Edgy,
it was done like dinner.

With that subject however, comes a warning.  One cannot simply gut out a
style and replace it with a vacuum.  With the absence of a dated style,
a replacement is required.  This is by no means an easy task.

Just because the stylings of air flow fins and sharp points were a
bygone style of the 1960s, auto manufacturers didn't simply start
producing cardboard boxes.

Glossy gradient highlights and that nasty inverted reflection look are
most certainly chasing ghosts of the past.  What is a contemporary
visual styling that will not only replace it, but also lend the same
degree of character?  Perhaps external art and design collections might
highlight an interesting perspective?  Blanket, Candy, Font Magazine,
Royal and a few other online magazines could potentially open up an idea
or two...

Sincerely,
TJS