[ubuntu-art] Whats Up with This?

Nick Russell thatnickrussell at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 30 11:29:29 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 11:15 +0200, Kenneth Wimer wrote:

> On Monday 30 June 2008 06:07:29 Salane Ashcraft wrote:
> > Hey Everyone...
> > What's up with this?
>
> This is the dark theme that we have put in for testing. It is in no way
> finished, ie the "testing".
>
> > http://digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_8_10_Intrepid_Ibex_Alpha_1_Screenshots
> >
> > See the complaints? We cannot let this happen. This theme is even worse
> > then the default of Hardy....
>
> I appreciate that you do now want this to happen. My suggestion would be to
> work on something that you think is better.
>
> Ken

Rather than necessarily set up opposing 'camps' (not intrinsically a bad
thing, but it can be), is it possible for people to get involved in the
development of this theme? - to improve the entirely-to-be-expected
early flaws.

It doesn't appear to have a statement of concept on the wiki with
screenshots for people to comment on. I know it's possible for people to
submit bugs against it, but I think it would be useful if it were on the
wiki as well. The statement of concept is very important, because when
someone says they don't like it, you can simply point them to the
concept so they can understand why YOU like it and think it is the right
direction to go in. You can also explain who the audience is (i.e. it
may not be designed for the kind of people who are criticising it, if it
is then that's when you know you need to reconsider aspects of your
design).

IMO the wiki allows designer(s) and critics/audience to respond in a
much less clinical/technical way to a design than does launchpad.