[ubuntu-art] Elegant Brit

fruchtschwert fruchtschwert at freenet.de
Mon Jun 30 00:18:53 BST 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 18.06.2008, 01:28 +0100 schrieb Who:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Conn <subpsyke at eircom.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Who <mailforwho at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>   * Distinctive: No other OS looks like this BUT it doesn't break
> >> usability.... I.E it's unique and usable... All elements (with the
> >> possible exception of the menus that really need an outline if you
> >> want to use them without a shadow-porviding WM)
> >
> > If by "usability" you mean "the ability to use", I'll have to disagree.
> > There is no way a mainstream distribution should sacrifice basic
> > accessibility for aesthetics. In case you didn't get what I'm hinting at,
> > it's the razor-thin scrollbars and scale sliders.
> >
> My bad, you're right about these.

I wanted to propose a very flexible and amazing launcher for intrepid,

For me, this seems to be the kind of UI-Revolution we need.
My GNOME-Panel is very empty now and one of the former two is gone
completely. You can start all the programs in your menu, locate files
and folders, search your e-mail adressbook, control rhythmbox and pidgin
and many other things through plugins.

All the things are controlled by typing the first characters of the
desired action. The most used things appear very fast, for other actions
you have to type some additional characters. Do! does not take away
space, it pops up via a keyboard shortcut. It works with compositing and

Maybe it's more suitable for the power user, but it's not hard to
learn .. it's different. What's your opinion?

Concerning the latest criticism on the Elegant Brit/Blankton themes, I
have to say that the usability-problems mentioned (scrollbars, sliders)
probably are very easy to fix (for someone who knows theming ;-), while
you can be looking very long for such a distinctive theme like this.

I also disagree with the statement that the theme is too specific to be
included. It has to be in some way specific to be recognized, to
represent Ubuntu. It has to have "soul". You won't get stuck in peoples
heads when your theme isn't in some way fresh. And that was the case,
with Windows XP/Vista and MacOSX, their themes always worked quite well.

You have to choose a theme which is modern and hits the flavour of our
times. It has to be liked by more people than disliked. Trying to
achieve that is a risk, I admit. But there's no way to get around that.
Risk something or stay with the Human-theme. The ones who don't like the
theme, still can change it with a few clicks.

Because it is very plain and simple I think Elegant IS suitable for
different kinds of people. So with respect to that it's general again,
that's how it should be. Specific in expression but not specific in
target audience.

Just my thoughts ..