[ubuntu-art] ibex idea

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 07:09:02 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 01:12 +0200, Kenneth Wimer wrote:
> Not sure what it is supposed to represent. The wallpaper would not include the
> logo in the middle. I just put it together quickly to show the idea.
>
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/SimpleDarkIbex
>
> I have a couple of other versions as well...I'll post something else tomorrow.

That's pretty cool, Kenneth! An issue I find with a lot of the ibex
wallpapers is that they look like decapitated animals, which Will Not go
over well. (Stuffed animal heads pinned on walls. ...Anyone remember
that scene in Ace Ventura?).

This one cleverly avoids that by showing the distinctive part of an Ibex
people actually notice and leaving out the bland bits that people can't
figure out what to do with. Also, while there is no Ubuntu logo, the
palette and shape hints at Ubuntu's branding pretty well, which is how
things should be. As for the background, I am not a fan of the
additional circles. Now that my screen brightness is higher, I see that
it kind of repeats the same pattern in the background as in the center,
which hurts your otherwise very striking effect. Perhaps it would be
useful to look at an Ibex's environment for some inspiration as to what
can be done with the background. Alas, just "rocky" probably doesn't
help much... Straight lines, small amounts of vegetation and sharp edges
may get somewhere.
For some reason my rather hopeless imagination is now being invaded by
the Ford "tough" logo. I'd better get out of here before I say something
dumb :)

Bye,
-Dylan