[ubuntu-art] Is There an Official Palette We Have to Stick With?

Kenneth Wimer kwwii at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 2 07:49:34 BST 2008

On Monday 02 June 2008 08:14:06 Anton Kerezov wrote:
> В 18:44 -0500 на 01.06.2008 (нд), Salane Ashcraft написа:
> > To Ubuntu Artists-
> >

> > Is there any real input from the developers, Shuttleworth, or anyone
> > about this? Do we even know if there will be a drastic theme
> > replacement? I have seen one email from a dev and a video where Mark
> > says we wants and interface change, but what is being done? we can sit
> > here and create themes and mockups, but will this even matter?
>
> Kenneth said it.
>
> I have a question concerning all the theme teams: If we have a theme
> that is not a mockup, how can we make it ship with Ubuntu for testing?

The first step would be to put it all in launchpad so that others have access
to it (without being able to directly mess everything up). Packaging the
pieces is really not too hard as we have existing themes we can edit. Mainly,
it comes down to putting the right names in the right files and tweaking a
few color values here and there but if you've never done it it might seem
confusing. Cory and I have both offered our help so it shouldn't be a
problem. If we have two teams which need to get their stuff packaged we can
set a time and go through the process online together.

As for getting the packages in Ubuntu, there are two possibilities:

1) the package is available in main and installed by default.

I would like to replace the gnome-themes package with an ubuntu themes
package. The main difference would be replacing the older, outdated themes
with the results of the theme teams.

2) the package is available in main

The theme is not installed by default but is easily installable without having
to add any repository to apt.

Although I would prefer option 1, I cannot promise it will happen as there
might be other issues beyond my knowledge.
--
Ken