[ubuntu-art] Getting something done

Kenneth Wimer kwwii at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 31 18:32:29 BST 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008 19:08:52 SzerencseFia wrote:
> Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 4:17 AM, SzerencseFia <szerencsefia at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> On my opinion Who, you should share in a form of list the necessary
> >> steps in correct sequence on the entire process you made successfully.
> >> It is important to achieve the same target you did on a workable way. In
> >> fact it does not limit to achieve the target *only* on that way.
> >
> > No, that's wrong. You should try to do it based on the information
> > already posted to this list (some good stuff within the last 7 days)
> > and when you run into a hurdle you should ask for help.
>
> I see your point. Just to make it clear what I meant at the first place,
> the first hurdle is my lack of understanding on:
> - what are the needed steps on the process I have read about on this list;
> - what should I do after I have made (let's say) a gtk2 theme and I want
> to contribute with it and it is uploaded on wiki site;
> - what to read that is short and gives answers without having to read
> couple of hundreds of posts mostly unnecessarily commented and off of
> the original subject;
> - and final to learn something what worked and no need to re-develop to
> reach the goal.
>
> These is the frame, these are minimal understanding on what it takes to
> complete the target per my knowledge.
>
> Without making anyone wrong I definitely think team work means more then
> giving some advices when one is already stocked. I have hardly found on
> this list team activity for real only between few active guys, but I
> found a lots of stops and smart opinions why some idea is wrong and
> giving no solution to improve it but only stopping it.
>
> I still think to write an overview in few steps (in maybe 10-15 lines)
> as a checklist would help a lot to "n00bs" like me who is more an artist
> then a coder.
>
> In this way, for dude like me would have a chance to make something
> useful for the community I belong too and fast but without having to
> spend huge amount valuable time to contribute.

As every package is different and changes over time it is very hard to write
such documentation. Note that there are quite a few wiki pages which can help
(ie that is how I figured out how to do this stuff, that and talking to
people). I once wrote a wiki page explaining exactly what to do to use the
automatic artwork builder but nobody (not one person) used it so we removed
the system (with ppa's you don't need it anyway). My point is that the
information is available and if anyone wants help doing it there are people
to ask questions.

It's kinda like trying to make a "how to make icons" tutorial, once you've
written it you figure out that you've only covered one case and the
information is hardly more than an overview.

If, however, we need an overview of the whole process, feel free to write
away :-)

--
Ken