[ubuntu-art] Mark has Thrown Down the Gauntlet!

Salane Ashcraft salane89 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:48:12 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Ashton <cogneato at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 9:33 AM, Julian Oliver <julian at selectparks.net>
> wrote:
>
>> put simply, colour should be used primarily to the ends of improving
>> usability in a desktop, not merely to make it 'distinct' (an empty and
>> vain project when taken on its own..). the desperate and abstract
>> attachment to brown is really starting to show it's age. this is
>> something people other than those of us on this list are perfectly
>> willing to admit..
>
> I haven't seen one color substitute that solves the problem. People try to
> use orange, and then the entire system becomes orange. There is no subtlety.
> No color use, just color replacements. I don't want a wallpaper that is
> completely brown, but I can use a wallpaper that has some brown in it.
>
> I myself like the red color in the Ubuntu logo, but that doesn't mean I want
> to see the entire desktop done in that red. I think something nice could be
> made by pulling and focusing on any one color in to some design. Even brown
> or orange. I just haven't seen it yet. It has been more like buckets of
> color combined with a paint roller to change a room, instead of using a fine
> brush to create a few <insert color here> elements on a canvas. It isn't
> like the color brown is avoided by all designers in the world. There are
> plenty of references out there to find.
>
>> we, the designers and/or art testers, haven't yet proven that brown was
>> any more than than as a thinly veiled attempt to be distinct within a
>> world of blue and brushed-metal desktops.
>
> I always saw that as the challenge. Maybe it is too big of a challenge for a
> community maintained design project, but I'm sure it could be done.
>
> I think Cory's comment regarding individual teams could be explored in a
> more structured manner. Since there is no official team, and the guidelines
> come off as loosely orientated as the mock ups, then why not have a wiki
> that reflects this? Instead of (to borrow a term) design-by-amoeba, let
> like-minded people clump together in pockets, define their own guidelines,
> and then show what they've got. There are obviously people who like Kith,
> orange, the lack of animals, etc...they should get together under one wiki
> heading and do it, without trying to get approval from the entire community.
> Because that will never happen. It would be more like, "Here is our team,
> here are our guidelines. We are trying to achieve THIS look and feel. We
> hate brown and avoid using it. We hope you like our show." Just OWN it. If
> it flies, it flies. The ml wastes its time arguing about things like colors
> vs colors.
>
> Well well well. While writing this I have seen Who's response and link to
> Cory's past convo about sub-teams. This is exactly what I am getting at. It
> seems no ideas are original, eh?
>
> I realize nothing prevents people from forming their own teams, but if it
> [...]

Yeah I have done so. I have put together a few people to work on a
theme. Starting this weekend I want to begin in force. We will take in
everything from all perspectives and hopefully deliver an awesome
theme.

I really dont care how long people have been here so much; it seems
like this Art Team is incredibly unorganized and has never done
anything to the point of redesigning everything. Our icons were
boughtl the font comes from upstream; and the theme is lackluster.

I hope no one is offended.

--
Salane Ashcraft
salane89 at gmail.com