[ubuntu-art] Public/official aims of this team

Bharat Varma nbharatvarma at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:28:45 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Who <mailforwho at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Julian Oliver <julian at selectparks.net>
> wrote:
> > ..on or around Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 09:06:57AM -0400 Salane Ashcraft
> wrote:
> >
> >> [..] but what
> >> really is needed are some guidelines and one theme that everyone works
> >> on at the same time.
> >
> > i sincerely doubt that will ever happen in this open design and
> > development context. efforts are better spent by small groups working on
> > unique projects in the hope they might become publically popular, let
> > alone garner the attention of Mark et al.
> >

> Wahey! I really agree...
>
> Is anyone in support of putting this on the Art-Team wiki and LP as
> the main aim of the team?
>
> So often we get people joining with the idea that we're all going to
> work together to change the default look - and so often after releases
> we all agree that probably isn't the way to go. So... lets just come
> out and say that.
>
> I was thinking of something like:
>
> "Ubuntu-artwork is a team of people who are interested in making
> additional themes for Ubuntu. If you've got an idea for a new look
> that could ship alongside the default, or want to work towards
> something that you think might one day challenge for the default spot,
> then jump in, the water's great. We tend to work in small groups on
> themes, so alongside people with a strong vision who can lead a team
> we need plenty of others that can work together to help get a great
> complete, cohesive look. This involves designers, packagers, GTK+
> themeing experts (hey, even QT theme experts are welcome :P) and we
> could certainly do with a few more hackers. If you're any of those
> things, or think you want to be soon, then you should be at home in
> this team.

We can never get consensus in an open group like this with multiple teams
working on different themes. What I think might work is this -

Give a deadline to anyone and everyone in this group to create a mockup,
which is technologically possible *today* (for example, themes based off
murrine RGBA svn don't count). A working sample also will do obviously,
instead of a mockup.

Everyone who cares votes on it. The group / individual who owns the mockup
will be responsible for it and we trust every other participant / member of
this forum to actively help with that theme only for Ibex, even if they hvae
their own ideas. We run it past kenneth wimer - assuming we don't pick
kenneth's theme - aim to make the theme with the popular vote as the default
for Ibex. If other participants wish to have their own theme, they do it in
their own time and we try to ship them with ubuntu, but not as default. Or
alternately, they will be available as ubuntu extras in a repo. But we
expect them to support the default theme. We need this team effort to make
it to Ibex.

Note that the voting shouldn't be on the theme itself, but the direction.
For example, in my mind, a theme based off murrine would get preferential
treatment from me because of the upcoming RGBA release later this year. The
direction is important to be able to sustain for atleast 2 more LTS
releases.

Everyone is doing a great job - Ken Vermette, KIm, the New Wave theme guys
etc., but we need to vote on one direction. The sooner we do this, the
better. Once we have a direction decided, we will have reasonable clues for
everything else - icons, wallpapers etc. And once we decide the direction,
we know the engine we use and therefore can request help from the engine
authors in case the primary developers are stuck with something.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

--
d-_-b