[ubuntu-art] Mark has Thrown Down the Gauntlet!

Kim Kahns post at kims-area.com
Thu Jul 24 15:57:39 BST 2008

Am 24.07.2008 15:48:28 schrieb(en) Salane Ashcraft:
> Ok well I posted them a while back, about a month ago. I am working
> on
> creating a small team, and hopefully I can get some things done. i
> almost think that we need to wait a bit for Icons - as what I have
> been working on looks great with the current icons. Mark wants in 2
> years for us to have moved to the point of surpassing OS X - So I
> think we can create this theme, change the fonts, the work on icons
> for the next release, while making improvements to theme in
> preparation for the next LTS.

Here is my opionion on the various topics:
1.
Ubuntu will never look as polished as OSX, at least not with GTK 2.0
and brown/orange colors.
Brown is seen by many people as old and unaesthetic, and orange is a
signal color.
2.
The person who writes a guideline should have real knowledge about
gtk-theming, because you can't create a usefull guideline and mockups
if you don't know the limitations (just look at all the mockups, they
don't show new styles - they show completly new guis...).
3.
An Ibex is not good for a desktop-style. It's just a "code name", stop
focussing on the animals.
4.
Packaging would be a good thing, but it's not necessary for creating a
theme, only for shipping it.

Update of the Human 2 theme

- fixed gnome-volume-manager notebook bg-color (see screenshot)
- dark panel style
- rounded range sliders

Screenshot: http://kims-area.com/human2.png
The updated theme is attached.