[ubuntu-art] Ubuntu-Title font

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Jul 14 14:56:58 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:45 AM, Justin Dugger <jldugger at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Ubuntu Artwork Team,
> I've been tweaking an Ubuntu business card design a little bit, and
> during this discovered the following bug:
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ttf-ubuntu-title/+bug/247016.
>  It was suggested by a triager that I bring it up on the list, so here
> I am.
> What I'd like to do is bring the ubuntu-title font up to everyday
> usable standards. ubuntu-title is a recognizable branding font, used
> in the logos, boot screen, advertising and even some fan magazines.

The title font has improved in its more recent revisions but too many
of the letters are shaped oddly for general use imho. The problematic
letter we bumped into most recently was lower case 'w'.

I'm using Arial Rounded MT Bold which is a harmonious (but non-free)

Another nice rounded font that was suggested by the Web Presence team
is MgOpen Modata, and one that was recommended but which I haven't
tried is LMSansDemiCondensed Regular available in the lmodern package
in Ubuntu (part of TeX).

Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode