[ubuntu-art] How to provide more alternate wallpapers without influencing CD size requirements

Ashton cogneato at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 06:53:30 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Brian Fleeger <brianfleeger at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> The interesting part of my idea is that it would really enhance the user
> experience to be able to browse and choose exactly what you want from a
> selection where EVERYTHING is guaranteed to look beautiful.  It would be an
> opportunity to win user mindshare.
>
> Its just an idea though, and I don't take it personally if you like it or
> not -- just something for you to consider.  If anyone does think it is worth
> passing along, please do so.
>
> Regards,
> Brian Fleeger

I think Grandma May is going to want pics of her grand-kids, weirdly
stretched out or tiled across her screen. :)

As for the rest of the users, there's a whole everlasting gobstopper of
imagery out there which they've been using for a long time: DeviantArt,
Flickr, Wikimedia, National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, endless numbers
of high-quality graphic design sites like pixelgirlpresents.com, image
search engines ...the entire internet is a gallery. I think it is always
going to be easier to grab some art that way, than a button linking to more
art or an add-on pack, and I think most people *want* to find things their
own way.  They enjoy the process. A few good solid images, a default to
introduce/celebrate the release, and I think Ubuntu is good to go.

I understand the appeal of the idea, but I don't think it will be a good use
of resources spending time maintaining a reservoir of "beautiful" art...it'd
take a long time just to get people to agree on what "beautiful" is...which
would be going in the direction of letting users vote for art...which is
just the same as allowing everything...which gets you back to using the
internet as a resource to begin with. I don't think Ubuntu's payoff would be
worth the effort. People like what they like. They know where to get it or
how to look for it. Whether it is pics of the kids, their favorite
celebrity, or some swirly gradient grunge design.

Ashton