[ubuntu-art] Need gtkrc help. Panel effect for Studio theme.

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 2 23:57:31 BST 2008

Michael Stephenson wrote:

> 2008/7/2 Cory K. <coryisatm at ubuntu.com <mailto:coryisatm at ubuntu.com>>:
>
>     Hi all. I'm tinkering with the Feisty Studio theme. Thinking of
>     bringing
>     it back with a facelift. I need help getting a look though.
>
>     Studio always skins the panel in it's themes. But adding the
>     background
>     manually through the panel options gives a different effect that using
>     the theme. I would like to get the look of adding it manually, but in
>     the theme.
>
>     Here's what I'm trying to do:
>     http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6104/paneltestro0.png
>
>     Now, since I also control all the settings for Studio I could set this
>     with a gconf key but it would set the panel for any theme someone
>     used.
>     This is not ideal.
>
>     So, is there a way to get the look of the top example *in* the theme?
>
>     Links to themes that do this are appreciated as well.
>
>     -Cory \m/
>     <https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-art>
>
> Please Please Please, don't skin the panel, some (stupidly in my
> opinion) programs use it as a repeated background for some of their
> windows (such as the alacarte menu editor when you are editing the
> properties of a launcher), and it looks truly awful and incredibly
> unprofessional.

Not my problem. Apps need to do things right. *And* Studio's theme
doesnt suffer from the issues you mention as we have work arounds.

> I don't know this for sure but I assume this is why the gutsy ubuntu
> studio theme decided not to do this.

Studio's panels have been skinned since it's creation.

> Alternatively you could file this as a bug in alacarte and any other
> programs which do this and hopefully get it changed.
> Mick

I do. And often. ;)

"Please Please Please" don't give opinions like this to questions of a
technical nature. I'm looking for tech answers. Not ascetic opinion.
Things like this are reasons why I never *usually* ask on this list.

No need to respond to this. I'm just looking for a clear answer to my query.

-Cory K.