[ubuntu-art] Whats Up with This?

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 17:49:08 BST 2008

> Alphas should absolutely be a place for playing around with ideas,
> testing concepts...I don't think Digg or even Ars should be given room
> to discourage experimentation. Some PlanetUbuntu posts might have
> helped. And I'm wondering about the feasibility of some kind of
> doc/readme, slide show, or even pre-loaded Tomboy note, that would pop
> up or sit on the desktop only in the alphas, which would explain some
> of these things as well as whatever other changes Ubuntu might be
> looking into. "With this release we are exploring ... with this app,
> that app, and so on. Any constructive criticism should be left at such
> and such place...blah blah. If you have this hardware or that hardware
> we are particularly interested in your experiences with
> blah-de-blah...Thanks for trying this build and aiding in the growth
> of such and such."

Good timing! I just started a thread on the ubuntu-marketing mailing
list with this very thought. The artwork in the development version
should be much more blatantly "in development", with warning messages
printed on them to make it clear. Those update info popups could also be
used more for testing purposes; in our case, pointing out that a theme
is one of many candidates and that bug reports should be filed at
launchpad.net (particularly in the case of dark ones!)

> NOW, for my question. :)
>
> If the dark theme is an experiment, what is the fallback? Is it
> "unity"? Something else entirely?

I think New Wave is an excellent fallback. For some reason it is being
classified by some as a "dark theme", but I don't think it is. It has
darkly coloured highlights (in the example), and those highlights are
spread out much more than usual. Quite interesting to look at, really...

Bye,
-Dylan