[ubuntu-art] panel icons

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jan 30 16:06:01 GMT 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 2:28 PM, Kenneth Wimer <kwwii at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> i agree, the little fleck of color was just to show how one could use
> color to
> denote there is some action to be taken (or currently being taken). Pretty
> much all of the ideas show there still need lots of work, I was just
> trying
> to get a feel for the general idea, not suggesting final icons.

I love the etched icons. Very handsome work.

I like the idea of being able to use a little color when something needs
attention. Say the battery icon is normally etched dark gray and then
lightens to pinkish orange (or "tangerine") as it approaches 20% capacity.
The trash can should not turn colors when it's full though, since there's
almost always something in the trash can.

BTW, Ken, in case you're "appreciation meter" is leaning towards empty, I
love your color palette you've created (posted to this list a couple weeks
ago). Let us know when that's final.

> > For example, if I go and download the latest Pidgin that
> > is built without Ubuntu in mind, I'll have the standard colourful Pidgin
> > icon. Alongside the etched icons it looks really weird.
>
> I expected more people to like the 2d versions compared to the etched
> versions, basically for the same reasons you just mentioned.

You know I'm no elitist but I feel no qualms about stepping to the next
level and inviting others to come join us. Windows and MacOS both have
guidelines for icons that show in their notification areas and it looks and
works good.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode