[ubuntu-art] Theme Update

Nemes Ioan Sorin nemes.sorin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 00:15:29 GMT 2008

julian wrote:
> ..on Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 10:25:18PM +0100, sylvain marc wrote:
>> Good theme
>
> this is a clean and eye-pleasing direction.
>
> comments:
>
>   i think the shading on the buttons is a bit too much, perhaps
>   so much so that it's hard to differentiate between a button-pressed and
>   a button-normal. could they not be 'flatter'? this may make them look
>   like they're more a part of the canvas than the stuff the window title
>   is made of..
>
>   i find the diagonal pattern in the scrollbar troughs a bit too much,
>   perhaps even dominating the scroll-handle itself. taking the
>   trough colour back to a simple dark gradiant might be enough.
>
>   that panel gradiant is good: just enough to give them form.
>
>   the window title text is well resolved too i think: it sits out with the
>   same depth those buttons are in relief. choice of typeface is great..
>
>   i think the contrast is better in the v1.5 than v1.6. i'd be keen to
>   see v1.5 with squarer buttons and a few of the above suggestions
>   implemented..
>
> cheers,

Sorry Julian,

you say "this is a clean and eye-pleasing direction" ...but is not
really ;).

really. From a functional perspective those scrollbars is not what is
supposed to be regarding UI Usability.

First functionality, then the candy - that's the rule in Design.

Scrollbars must mark visually that there in place, the content overflow
  over recipient margins and it's height/width should suggest an
approximative difference between how much information are hidden and how
much is visible.

Scrollbar must be enough distinctive place and should not distract the
look focus from content. In our case we have here an interesting
hypnotic effect created by the scroll-track bar. Moving the scrollbar
over the scroll-track - this hypnotic effect is amplified.

So I see here some problems - theme is nice and clean - but scrollbar
design denote one fact -> the author is not yet very clear on it's
knowledge, on it's power. Yet.No problem - time and experience will help
here. But the scrollbar is not usable as is now.

Other elements are OK (excluding colors of course - but is not his
choice I understand that).

SorinN