[ubuntu-art] Moving things forwards.

Troy James Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 03:14:14 GMT 2008

Andrew Laignel wrote:
> Ideally
> a default theme should not be even noticed by the public - being neutral
> and innofensive as possible should be the goal.  A perfect demonstration
> of this is Apple, where the current theme for OSX is crips, clean,
> stylish and probably as neutral as you can get - no loud colours,
> drastic layouts or hard edges.

Am I reading this?

OSX has for the longest time held away _many_ users because their
audience has been so clearly stated time and time again.  It has
just recently begun to pay extreme dividends on their unflinching
dedication to that audience.  And yes -- people _LOVE_ Apple and
people _HATE_ them.

It is _not_ colour neutral.  It is _not_ 'musak' as you so seem
willing to flog.  It is a complete campaign based around Time
Machine from the ground up.  Everything - every single little
detail regarding art and presentation around Leopard is
centred around it.

J. Ive vaulted into the role of ye-who-can-do-no-wrong by modelling
the coloured iMacs after gummy drops.  He even went on a research
tour to round out his knowledge.

Please, do a little research.  Apple does not make musak.  As anyone
would tell you, I am the furthest thing away from an Apple fanboy,
but they treat art / design / sound / etc. with the respect, knowledge,
and training it deserves.

Sincerely,
TJS