[ubuntu-art] Moving things forwards.

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 02:29:27 GMT 2008

No author of any theme is remotely aware of whether or not their submission
will make it into the final product.

I don't know that, if I turn one of my themes into a full-out GTK with
Emerald and Metacity, my time will have been worth it. While we are all
aware that Mark will decide the final theme, how do I know if Mark will see
it? How much effort should I put into the theme, vs how much effort should I
put into the mailing list or the Wiki, making sure the right people will see
it?

Maybe everyone would be much happier if there were just some sort of list -
or anything, that says "The list of everything Mark is guaranteed to
consider", the list the Art Team will push to Mark first as their best and
finest selection. A list where at least you will probably know you've made
it as even an alternate choice. Mark will have the final say, so where do we
find out what Mark wants? Can he be given a selection of what we have now,
so we can get his commentary?

I personally don't want to turn anything into a real theme because I don't
know what will be considered. If a clear set of rules is established (must
be a working GTK theme, with Metacity and where applicable, Emerald files,
etc) and I'm told "Hey - if you make X into a live theme, X will be on that
list - we will put you there" then I'll make the full GTK, and I'll make the
Emerald, and I'll kick into overdrive to make everything you'll need because
I know it'll be seriously considered.

Right now all I know is that Basic Ideals got public attention, Union was
given a union-like GTK to develop on, and then this Gelatin thing came out
from left field and now I have a third theme I've started because I think
thats what the Art team likes... I have two weeks before I'm serving in the
Canadian Air Force, I have two weeks before I'm gone for 3 months, and
possible well over a year if I don't get permission to get a new laptop. I
don't expect to make the next default, and I don't know who will - but among
this mess of message boards and Wiki articles how is anyone expected to feel
like they've made it farther than a few good comments?

-Ken Vermette

On Jan 2, 2008 9:06 PM, Justin Rogers <justin.a.rogers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2008 6:47 PM, Troy James Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > There is no war.
> >
> > There never has been war.
> >
> > There is only sabdfl and his way that he chooses to run
> > his company.  I applaud his patience, monetary input, and
> > brilliance in this light.
> >
> > Voting is also irrelevant.  The poorly conceived Edgy
> > byproduct achieved approximately 75% voter approval
> > over the existing artwork of Dapper.  It made no difference,
> > and nor should it.
> >
> > > the only thing to fear from a vote is the reality that your
> > contributions are not
> > > as popular as you would like them to be.
> >
> > And given enough votes, all things will median.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > TJS
> >

> > --
> >

> Dude you are just spinning your wheels, because I don't understand how
> nything up to this point can be called brilliant. I don't claim to know what
> to implement to get this project back on its feet. But the fact is that we
> are more then two months into a six month release cycle without anything to
> show for it.

-Ken Vermette