[ubuntu-art] Meta Discussion: Desktop Ideas vs Artwork Team

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 23:16:50 GMT 2008

I have really tried to keep this short.

The Problem:

I have been a bit distressed about some of the latest activity on this
list. A lot of people seem to be posting ideas about new features they
want implemented in the desktop. In short: I don't think this is
something we can address on the artwork team. Read on.

When you put a bunch of creative people in a "room" ideas and passion
will grow, and this is a good thing. If this creative energy is not
channeled the right way frustration will build up.

There is simply *no way* the current art team can even begin to
implement the all the ideas discussed here. Or even new features at
all. Minor patching to a selected theme engine is probably as far as
it can go (maybe not even that).

If a feature cannot be readily implemented in the gtkrc and/or
metacity theme, then you should be able to provide the patch your
self. Otherwise it is likely you are wasting your time because the
mockups will only collect dust in the archives.

The Solution:

 - Write down guidelines for what the artwork team do (themes,
wallpapers, icons) and also what it does not do - ie. coding. A
summary of this can be put on the mailman subscription page (I think
anybody with list admin right can do this).

 - Harness the creative energies in another medium. Create
labs.ubuntu.com. A place to juggle about wild ideas, mockups, code
snippets etc. Mailing list + wiki + launchpad should be a good
foundation here. I think the platform is somewhat already there now
with the forums and various mailing lists, but a more coherent whole
could be good.

Remember:

I am not trying to criticize anyone, only trying to better the
situation for all of us.

Cheers,
Mikkel