[ubuntu-art] Regarding the bleeding edge Clearlooks (With all this talk about theme engines)

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 02:49:42 GMT 2008

I am not very picky about themes, but there is one thing that often does
drive me crazy: The way that the selected widget is highlighted. This is
nearly always achieved by a dotted line rectangle, which looks very ugly.
Not only is it ugly, but the rectangle communicates very little, and simply
does not blend with the smooth / solid look of everything else. I see no
reason for this rectangle to be how it is, and yet it persists in every
theme I have ever tried.

...Until I noticed the latest version of Clearlooks in Hardy. Finally, this
theme engine is doing something about the dotted line. Instead, we have a
very flashy, very visible yet tasteful solid rectangle. That rectangle
blends with other such rectangles (eg: The group selection rectangle used in
the file browser!). I like that this selection indicator is not afraid to
admit it exists, instead being rather prominently present. As a result, the
artists clearly achieved a much more pleasant effect that actually makes it
not an eye-sore. Furthermore, since it is so visible, this indicator is
undoubtedly much easier for people using it frequently. It can actually be
seen at first glance since it does not hide in the corners of widgets.

My thought is as follows: If the default theme engine (or theme) does see
some tweaking for Hardy, it would be worthwhile to adopt this idea from
Clearlooks.

Bye,
-Dylan McCall