[ubuntu-art] Kin Dust

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 20:43:06 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Ken Vermette <vermette at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Arjuna Navaratna <arjnav at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Ken Vermette <vermette at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Everyone;
>>>
>>> Heres live screenshots of Kin Dust. Right now I'm tweaking the panels and
>>> doing any per-program fixes for programs like firefox and OpenOffice (which
>>> disagree with dark menubars). Similar to all the Kith/Kin theme derivatives,
>>> when buttons are moused-over they have an "under the window" glow that
>>> blooms on the wireframe... Not shown in the pictures though; I need to
>>> manually edit images to show what the glow looks like, and I'm lazy. But if
>>> you've used Kith/Kin Emerald themes, you know the glow.
>>>
>>> http://raraken.deviantart.com/art/Kin-Dust-Live-96257933
>>> http://raraken.deviantart.com/art/Kin-Dust-avec-Firefox-et-Avant-96261776
>>>
>>> Things that are done include the firefox fix (but not a full theme),
>>> emerald, modified Metacity theme (looks similar to the origional dust),
>>> Avant navigator theme, Dark KithKin wallpaper, and the GTK (newest Murrine
>>> version, panels still under work).
>>>
>>> Things en route include customized cursors (similar to DMZ-Black), a true
>>> firefox theme, more fixes (Openoffice, mainly), panel themes and KDE colour
>>> sets.
>>>
>>> Things down the road (provided I get some rubber on the road) will be
>>> custom login and bootsplash images.
>>>
>>> -Ken Vermette
>>>

>> Just a question, is your firefox theme going to fix the bookmarks toolbar
>> as well? Just curious, because your screenshot is missing the it. I'm using
>> Dust right now and I modified the userChrome.css to fix most of the issues I
>> have except for the bookmarks toolbar.
>>
>> -Arjuna
>>

>> --
>>

> The navigation bar and bookmarks toolbars will be dark-text-on-light, so no
> fixing will be necessary. The firefox theme will primarily tweak the tabs,
> keeping the rest of the theme simple and free of potential bugs.
>
> --
> -Ken Vermette

I forgot to ask, but is there anybody with GTK theme experience available to
help me stamp some bugs out of the GTK/streamline it a little? I know there
are several (more/less) simple fixes, I just have no experience in GTK (and
the fact that this even has a working GTK theme at all still shocks me)

Main issues right now are almost all related to dark panels, and customizing
some panel applets. I'm posting the entire contents of what I have on
Wikipedia tonight (with bug warnings on the GTK) aswell a things I need
done. Since final submission deadline is coming up (and burning my heels),
time is a bit too tight. Obi-wan-anybodyatallplease; you're my only hope!
Any help at all would be -really- appreacted, like, endlessly.

-Ken Vermette