[ubuntu-art] current status of intrepid theme (Dust?)

Hajo E. regardful at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 25 00:11:50 BST 2008

Hello designers, developers and mailing list readers,
Looks like the mail did not get through the last time a few days ago, so
here it is again (I'm sorry if you got this mail more than one time):
After consulting Google, http://wiki.ubuntu.com, #ubuntu-artwork and
launchpad i couldn't find information on what exactly the three different
deadlines in the Release schedule of Intrepid Ibex [1] mean.

I'm just curious if there is a chance at all that a theme like Dust [2] can
still make it into Ubuntu 8.10 or if it is too late and we will end up
having almost the same design we have seen in 8.04 and no innovations.

Regarding the Dust theme:
Dust (as seen in the wiki) has some advantages over the other popular themes
which compete against each other being the new default theme:
* It looks mature
* the font and font size used in the pictures in [2] creates a very
different appearance (i would vote for a 1pt smaller font size in intrepid
compared to the size that is used in the last ubuntu versions)
* a bit of transparency like it is used in the GNOME panel makes it look a
grain more elegant
* ... rest of the arguments can be read in the comments of the wiki page

Another question i am interested in is why there are no paid designers who
could be able to create a good theme.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Hajo E.