[ubuntu-art] Extending the art direction on a per-program basis

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 17:05:15 BST 2008

Hey everyone;

This post easily would not be in regards to intrepid, possibly it's
successor. It's in relation to extending the art-teams direction beyond
theme creation, into program layouts and per-program optimization.

One of the main things I'm noticing with Ubuntu is that we have a lot of
-really- nice themes ready and poised. Dust is simply astounding, for
example (please post the Dust theme files, I love them). However, if we ever
plan to take on interface masters such as the designers over at Apple and
Microsoft, we need to polish individual programs once we have established
themes.

A good example of an unpolished looking program is Asilerot Solitare. The
game looks horrible, and is in no way related to any Ubuntu theme. To make
asilerot solitare look good, all we need are some cards and a new
background. Firefox is a good example of when a per-program theme is made.
The Dust firefox theme adds amazing polish, and solidifies the theme.

Other programs just have inconsistant layouts, if we managed to steal away
some programmers they could just make sure programs have a more standardized
layout.

Overall, this would include a slow per-program layout update, and involve
maintaining program changes post-update (or getting the devs to add it to
the changes to their main builds). Programs that support themes (like
firefox or Solitare) and programs frequently used (such as Nautilus or
Evolution) would be the best to focus on.

This post is mostly observational, but I personally beleive that it should
be a priority - once we have a polished, updatable theme (such as OSX is
doing with Aqua).

-Ken Vermette