[ubuntu-art] Secret Garden Theme (Team?) Ideas [Usplash, GDM ideas]

tonic ghatanothoa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 09:13:30 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <
mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/8/14 Who <mailforwho at googlemail.com>:
> > Hi all,
> > (summary: check out
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incubator/SecretGarden and give me
> > some feedback, if you like :)
> >
> > I managed to spend a little bit of time thinking about some designs on
> > holiday and tonight I've tried quickly mocking some of them up. I am
> > under no false illusions - some of this stuff is UGLY at the moment,
> > but it is ideas I'm playing with...
> >
> > First some background: I wanted the theme to make the computer feel
> > more real... and I wanted to convey some sense of what is going in
> > inside as it boots. To me, it feels like a computer is coming alive...
> > So I took that idea and poked around a bit. The work that I've put on
> > the wiki is the result of me musing on the ideas of growth. There are
> > some drawings from my notebook that I will try and get around to
> > putting up later...
> >
> > The idea is that each subsequent step in the boot process will have
> > 'grown' from the previous one...
> > Usplash-->GDM-->Lsplash-->Desktop should be transition
> >
> > So, so far I've just messed about with usplash and GDM. I am not so
> > sure about the technical possibilities of my GDM - I'd like some
> > suggestions on that. I did a quick lsplash (session-splash) idea but
> > tbh I'd really like the session splash to be fullscreen... and
> > animated :P...
> >
> > So, finally, some actual work.
> > There is a mock up Usplash
> > 4 GDM mockups - which do you like best? Why?
> > 1. Lsplash, but see the note on that one
> >
> > If anyone likes the ideas I'd be really happy for some help working on
> > this. You might notice that I have created a 'Incubator' section of
> > the Art Team wiki. This is to indicate I see this as a long term thing
> > - I don't have the time to push it out for any specific release -
> > it'll be done when we do it... etc... I would like to think of it as a
> > 'theme team' style project.
> >
> > If you like the ideas then get drawing, put up some sketches or
> > mockups :) At this stage I would suggest anyone contributing to this
> > theme do quite quick work not really precise stuff, but because that's
> > likely to be a waste of time as the end result might be quite
> > different from the ideas on the page right now. I don't want anyone
> > feeling like they wasted their time :)
>
> I like the general idea of the computer coming to life. And using the
> plant metaphor.
>
> Some comments:
>
>  - Is the intent to have the final artwork in the same simple lines
> and color spectrum as the mockups? I can not fully extract your
> intentions here...
>
>  - Watch out for a tentacle-like feel...
>
>  - I like the black with the orange bar best. It is somehow more in
> line with the standard ubuntu artwork.
>
>  - Second best would be the white with the thin orange bar. Simpler in
> composition than my prefered one, but bordering on just way to simple,
> [...]

I was the person working on the usplash stuff for Troy. With usplash you can
pretty much do anything, just don't expect it to do it well - anything
processor intensive is going to slow your boottime horribly. However this
sort of simple animation should be quite achievable if you stay within some
considerable constraints.

cheers,
          Tonic