[ubuntu-art] dark theme probs

David thecookieofdoom at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 15:33:26 BST 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ at freenet.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 19:03 -0400, Victor wrote:
>
>> If I remember correctly, OS X
>> also uses unified menu/titlebar, how do they manage the movement of
>> windows?
>
> Seems you can drag from the titlebar and any empty space of the menubar.
> I have said before that this should be a requirement for the unified
> look, independent of how Apple does it.
>
> http://www.xvsxp.com/interface/moveresize.php
>
> --
> Thorsten Wilms
>
> thorwil's design for free software:
> http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

This is a point my dad brought up when he was using Ubuntu (I had
given him a Mac-like theme). He said he wasn't sure where to grab the
window to move it. With alt click being able to move windows so
readily, is this even all that important? Once I showed it to him he
didn't seem to mind the titlebar being part of the window nearly as
much. Frankly I find any operating system that doesn't support
alt+click moving windows (and alt+middleclick resizing) to be
extremely annoying.

With regards to the original point one... do the inactive window
frames have to be transparent? I know they don't in Emerald, but does
Metacity force it? If it doesn't, I think we should just leave it off.
Being able to alt+scroll to change window transparency is far more
useful than transparent window titles. Transparent window decorations
doesn't really add anything to the usefulness of the theme, and unless
done well probably shouldn't be done at all.

Just my two cents.

--
David Mikucki