[ubuntu-art] dark theme probs

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Aug 8 23:48:15 BST 2008

OK, here are links to two more problems -

#1 [easy] - on Shiki-colors the title bars on inactive windows are too
transparent so its' difficult to see where to grab. This is especially
challenging in gimp where you have many open windows.
http://code.bearfruit.org/~matt/dark/where-click.png

#2 [hard] - on many themes, for example Shiki is shown, its hard to
tell where you can grab the window. Because there's no difference
between what we know is the title bar and empty toolbar/menu bar space
below it it's easy to miss the title bar and grab empty space.
http://code.bearfruit.org/~matt/dark/grabby.png

#2 is going to be a real challenge for dark themes but is pretty
important. The fact that there's no visible diff between the title bar
and the menu is cool looking because its so original. Maybe the reason
its original is because no one has conquered the usability problem.
:-( Before Hardy I think there was a patch that allowed us to have
this capability without messing up the look by making some areas
appear "grabbable." Anyone else remember this and know what happened?
If not, then we may need to consider adding a bit of texture so that
the title bar looks like something you can grab and the menu bar
doesn't.

Speaking of patches, anyone hear if we can now use bluring around
title bar text? That would allow even active windows to have some
transparency without messing up the readability of the text.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode