[ubuntu-art] Shiki-Colors

David thecookieofdoom at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 18:23:53 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Vadim Peretokin <vperetokin at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't really like all of the gray. It's possibly the least exciting color
> their is, nevermind that it's already associated with another OS.

> When you think about it, though... gray is great because there can be a lot
of contrast, yet it can still be completely readable. Plus it goes with
anything. When I do web design I try to add color to everything but what
absolutely must be readable (with exceptions, of course). There will be
colors in the header, the background for the main page, images, etc. When it
comes to the content it's usually non exciting. Black on white, or vice
versa... or even just shades of gray. I think we should try to get our
colors into places that they can be without having to worry about stuff. The
orange and brown could be dealt with primarily in the wallpaper, panels,
emerald/metacity theme, and icons. The GTK part should be as boring as
possible to an extent, so as to make it as readable as possible.

One of the best things about Ubuntu is choice. There have been a lot of
excellet ideas thrown out here like Kith, Kin, this theme, and many more
(sorry for not mentioning them all by name). The default theme though should
be something that is acceptable to everyone. I'd love to see a somewhat
boring(ish) default theme, with themes like Kith, Kin, UbuntuStudio
(whatever they're doing), Blubuntu, etc. in the appearance menu. If we
removed a few screensavers, we could add quite a few themes and wallpaers. I
think this would go a long way toward putting Ubuntu ahead of Mac, because
they don't have a lot of choice in what their OS looks like.

Just my 2 cents. Gmail kinda messed up half way through this, I'm prety sure
I won't be top posting, but if I am I apologize.

--
David Mikucki