[ubuntu-art] art concept

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Aug 4 20:09:32 BST 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Michael Stephenson
<mickstephenson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/4 Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org>
>>
>> There are a ton of icons. If you just want to make a subtle change you
>> can re-use the icons from another theme, but if you want to make a
>> radical change (like flat icons) then you need to make a bunch. This
>> takes a lot of ambition and a motivated *team* if you want to get it
>> done in a short time.
>
> Personally I think the human-colors icons on gnome look by perfectska04 are
> superior to the ones currently in use for ubuntu, I am sure I have heard
> that
> Canonical hired a professional design company to create those icons. I am
> sure
> that I have heard also that mark wants the current fisher price icons
> because they
> are synonymous with Ubuntu.

You could be right there - I think have confused in my mind the task
of creating desktop icons and the separate task of creating
notification area icons. It is the notification area icons that should
be flat and there are far fewer. This task may be more manageable than
I said.

> So isn't the problem with creating community
> icons
> that as soon as they appear on gnome-look they are no longer synonymous with
> the brand and will not be used?

Well, Ubuntu is open source. There's no reason another distribution
cannot take the Ubuntu icons and use them. (Although the ubuntu logo
is governed by a trademark policy)

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode