[ubuntu-art] STOP TOP POSTING!!!

Conn subpsyke at eircom.net
Wed Apr 30 22:13:01 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 9:32 PM, shadowh511 <shadow.h511 at gmail.com> wrote:

> i found out something about gmail recently, it automatically gets rid of
> the quoted text and replaces it with "show quoted text"

It's really not so difficult to bottom-post from Gmail; I use it as my main
mail client and I have no trouble doing so. Interjecting between quoted text
is also easy, you just need to click on "show quoted text" (if necessary),
position the cursor wherever you wish to make a break and press return
twice. Also, it's a good idea to quote only relevant parts when you are
replying to a previous post (for the purpose of clarity, among other
things).

You may believe people are being unfair or nit-picking about this "top
posting" issue, but it really does matter to people who have subscribed to
this list in digest form. For personal correspondence I am lazy and will
almost always top post (except for longer emails that have several points -
then I will reply inline). I do understand and abide by conventions of
etiquette for mailing lists, however, and I think everyone else should make
this effort as well.

If more people used gmail, you would understand why it is easier to *GASP*
> top-post, but the easiest way to bottom post in gmail is to erase
> everything, which is hard.

Your argument is valid assuming that everyone uses Gmail - they don't. I do
believe there may even be Gmail users that subscribe to this list in digest
form, and these posts won't get magically resorted even for them.

I would encourage anyone who still doesn't see the point to read the
relevant Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting