[ubuntu-art] Intrepid Ibex

Seth Woodworth seth at isforinsects.com
Mon Apr 28 09:43:08 BST 2008

I've been reading up on an old proposal about ambient-ly changing desktops
(and themes?) in Ubuntu.  Also, I have been playing with semi-transparent
SVG's as backgrounds, and changing the base background color.

I feel that it would be relatively trivial to create a simple system for
auto-updating the bgshade behind a given svg background based on
environmental variables.  Say: time and projected sun-up/sundown at a given
long/lat.  The shade of your background could very easily match the rough
shade of the sky outside.

Also, as you likely know, SVG's are pretty easy to edit by a program simply
by changing some basic XML structure inside the file.  This too could be
fairly easily changed to create an ever-changing background, with little
resource overhead.

Is it in anyone's plans to go forward with the original proposal?  I'm
interested in working with anyone who is.

Seth