[ubuntu-art] Random Thoughts on Mail Burst

Yann Dìnendal yanndinendal at universfantastiques.org
Wed Apr 30 14:23:50 BST 2008

> Union, as it stands, (below) i find a bit too soft and 'faded', as
> though it's been left in the sun too long. for this reason it may be
> especially difficult to use in strong-light conditions. it also looks
> far too dependent on compiz.
>
> nonetheless - and like it's predecessor above - there are one or two
> ideas in there that are interesting (like the window outlines):
>

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/Union#head-5451daa7f88b46eaca94a24cfb5f869238c575ab

I think Union's colors are beautiful ! But I agree with François, maybe it
is a little bit too monochromatic  and UI elements should get stronger
colors (titlebars, ...).

> Union is influenced by a mockup many people were enthusiastic about. it
> was of course far too unrealistic to be actually implemented:
>
>    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2620273#post2620273
>
> i thought the colour palette worked well, complementing both warm and
> cold colours without competition.

I think these colors are not as beautiful, but they could work very well on
a real desktop !

> one you didn't post, that i thought showed some promise, is:
>

> http://mossblaser.deviantart.com/art/Ubuntu-8-04-GUI-Design-Idea-72574609
>
> it's good to see a working brown beyond the 'caramel' many Ubuntu users
> are
> tired of..

Yes, the panels and tooltips brown is good (but I don't like the faded
orange-beige inside the windows...).

--
Yann Dìnendal