[ubuntu-art] Intrepid Panels

Julian Oliver julian at selectparks.net
Tue Apr 29 18:07:24 BST 2008

..on or around Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 06:42:05PM +0200, Steph said:
> Hi guys,
>
> It seems I had a bug of the list and received ~50 of your message in a
> single digest. Here's what I think of :
>
> * The animated, "live" wallpaper : it'a good idea, as long as it doesn't use
> more than 5% of CPU or GPU (better), and if this is realized, we have to
> check if it's really that eye pleasant. Animation is cool, yes, but
> really unobtrusive.
> We could try to reproduce a feature of the  Sony Ericsson
> <http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/s500i?cc=fr&lc=en>S500I
> phone<http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/s500i?cc=fr&lc=en>,
> wich changes its wallpaper along the day. My girlfriend has one, it's really
> beautiful, and not stressing at all.

5% is way too much GPU or CPU consumption for a wallpaper IMO. moreso
are you imagining 5% of the minimum target spec at the time of release?

(it would be ironic that the wallpaper has an 'earthy' theme yet is
itself the most energy expensive element of the UI when idle).

cheers,

--
julian oliver
http://julianoliver.com