[ubuntu-art] Intrepid Ibex

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 23:11:07 BST 2008

Okay, really sorry to do this folks, but I am going to nearly duplicate
something I have just written; I managed to write to the wrong thread...

Here is a Wikipedia article on the classical elements, which may feed
some ideas...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_element

Personally, I think the Chinese Wu Xing stuff would be the most
interesting here, since it feels more tactile. It is suggested to poke
at elements of human life, and I think the Chinese system works great
for that. The Greek elements seem to explain inanimate objects in an
effort to "understand the universe", while the Chinese phases are
focused more on philosophy, life and interaction at the human level.

That, and the Greek elements are plain over-used ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing

Some thoughts:

-Wu Xing has some interesting description of how certain phases interact
with each other. Perhaps the wallpapers corresponding to those phases
could have others quietly blended in. For example, I can picture a
forest scene for wood (nature) with a metal scene (a city) in the
background...
-Simply drawing pictures of the elements or phases as they literally
appear seems rather simplistic to me. Look at, for example, how fire
interacts with all the other elements! I bet some neat stuff could be
created out of that.
-It could be cool to mix artistic styles. Fire, again, could be
interesting with a more abstract brush than what Metal may immediately
inspire. (Although I keep linking metal to electricity over here...)

Regarding time lapsed backgrounds: Is there a particular reason why
these can't just define a little Python script that chooses when to
change the wallpaper? The current thing seems rather inflexible, which
would make sense if the time control stuff was exposed to the user, but
does not make an awful lot of sense here.

Anyway, I think I would sooner die than see a window manager handle a
wallpaper slideshow on its own. Compiz plugins have their place, and it
is not there; fancy accelerated graphics can happen wherever they
please, and a window manager should do just that: Manage windows. Having
said that, it could maybe be done more smoothly by stacking windows and
changing their opacity, but that still sounds quite ugly. The "Pictures
folder" screensaver seems to do transitions pretty well on even my
rather weak computers, so maybe stuff could be borrowed from there...

Bye,
-Dylan