[ubuntu-art] Intrepid Ibex

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 28 20:16:41 BST 2008

Sumit Agarwal wrote:
>>> To 'rephrase' and add some of my own thoughts:
>>>
>>> -ISSUE - theme not eye-pleasing enough
>>> 	-IDEA - create aeshetically-pleasing theme
>>> 		-CON - idea too vague
>>> 	-IDEA - large-area UI elements should be color-neutral. This would
>>> put greater visual importance and weight on application *content*
>>> rather than the application/desktop UI
>>> 		-ISSUE - UI controls such as scrollbars, max/min/close/etc can get
>>> visually 'lost'
>>> 			IDEA - keep main theme elements such as dialogue/application
>>> backgrounds, menubars, and possibly titlebars color-neutral, but give
>>> scrollbars and buttons strong colors (Ubuntu colors? Orange?) so that
>>> they visually stand-out.
>>> -IDEA - theme must clearly represent Ubuntu spirit
>>> 	-ISSUE - we need to better define 'Ubuntu spirit' visually. First,
>>> what does 'Ubuntu spirit' even mean? A sense of compassion? A sense
>>> of
>>> ease? What are generally-accepted techniques for visually
>>> representing
>>> these ideas? Does it mean warm colors? Does it mean a satin-look?
>>>
>>> Is anyone up for building up an Ubuntu-art wiki around this type of
>>> ISSUE/IDEA/PRO/CON organization? Should be easy to use in the
>>> existing
>>> wiki.
>>>
>>> -Sumit
>>>
>> Honestly, best thing is to start the idea yourself and pull in like
>> minded people once your idea is framed up.
>>
>> -Cory \m/
>>
>> --
>>

> I strongly disagree. That is perfectly fine for the broader 'grown'
> Linux community, but Ubuntu seeks to set itself apart by presenting
> itself as a *planned* unified product for the non-enthusiast community.
>
> The Linux tradition of individual freedom and creativity is a great
> strength. But sometimes a project just calls out for more of a BSD-
> like structure. Ubuntu is such a project. Its not surprising that the
> open-source end-user applications to garner the greatest mainstream
> user-base, Firefox and OpenOffice, follow the same ethos. They
> identify issues, brainstorm solutions, and then pursue improvements in
> a highly-structured method. With Firefox 3 they did not simply decide
> to make it 'prettier'. They decided the browser must more-cleanly
> integrate into its host OS. They identified key solutions to this
> (skin the buttons to reflect the in-built browsers on Windows, Vista,
> and OS X, allow a 'unified' titlebar/application button area on OS X,
> etc), and then they went ahead and did it.
>
> There are innumerable Linux distributions that are essentially a
> collection of cool programs/hacks put together by a freeform
> community. And that's great! But if Ubuntu is just going to be another
> one of those, then there isn't a real *point* to Ubuntu.
>
> Ubuntu is meant for everyone. Such a lofty goal requires some serious
> planning.
>
> -Sumit

Uh... I'm only guessing that's meant toward me. I really don't see how
what you posted is different or outside what I said. I think you might
be bringing some personal issues into what I said.

There's no reason why you can't create a wiki page with the basic
structure there (like you have already done) and have people work from
there.

Here's where I'll bring in my "personal issues". ;) The vast majority of
people don't care about working together on Ubuntu art.

Most want to do their own thing and get mad when they are asked to
refine things. (note I said "most") You'll never get everyone to agree
on this. So IMO it's best to fins a few like-minded people and work on
your own complete vision. I've said many times now I'll be happy to
package complete ideas up. Maybe even a "community" pack with odds and ends.

Personally, I would stop trying to steer the main Ubuntu art and work
with a small group. Otherwise, one has to know that if you're trying to
submit things for official inclusion that you are subject to alot of
factors. Main one being if the powers that be like it or not. Second, if
you're the type of person who can handle constantly refining things
'till said powers do like it. Most people can't be bothered and therefor
the Art team really isnt a team because IMO most people here can't/won't
_really_ work together. So I advocate small teams to work on complete
themes.

Something like: http://logo-contest.freebsd.org/result/640-1.png would
surely get noticed.

-Cory \m/

PS: Please bottom post from now on. With long posts like yours things
tend to get out of order. :P