[ubuntu-art] Intrepid Ibex (Wallpaper Slideshow)

Dana Goyette DanaGoyette at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 18:19:40 BST 2008

Cory K. wrote:

> ATM, this feature doesn't work well at all. It's totally CPU driven and
> on every box I've tried it on the transition is bad. Usually ticky. Like
> a *real* low frame-rate. Various resolutions, right up to a dual-core box.
>
> Also there's some issue where the fade or transition time can't be set
> below 15seconds or so.
>
> To be done by default I think the feature needs work.
>
> -Cory \m/

I dug around in the source of the libgnome-desktop-2 package, and found
this:
 From gnome-bg.c, line 1065-1066:
                 /* Maybe the number of steps should be configurable? */
                 timeout = slide->duration / 255.0;

For a 2 hour transition, that works out to about 28 seconds.  For a
5-hour transition, as in the Fedora Infinity wallpaper, it is roughly 71
seconds.

I would love this feature, but it definitely does need improvement. The
feature also needs to become 'discoverable' before being included by
default.
It'd be even better if we could make it respond to local conditions, as
in this idea:
http://www.tranism.com/weblog/archives/2006/11/os_x_atmosphere.html