[ubuntu-art] Intrepid Ibex (Wallpaper Slideshow)

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 28 17:14:04 BST 2008

Dana Goyette wrote:
> I've actually taken a look at that feature; after I first saw it in
> Fedora 8 and 9 (beta at the time), I've been 'dying' to see the same
> feature in Ubuntu.  It turns out that the XML slideshow wallpaper
> feature from Fedora has been pushed upstream, so now it exists in
> Gnome 2.22, and thus Ubuntu (Hardy); there just isn't any artwork
> using it. However, this feature is static, in that it responds only to
> time changes, and not to season or weather changes.
>
> If you search for 'slideshow' on gnome-look, you get a few results:
> http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Tree+Slideshow+Wallpaper+for+Fedora?content=74639
>
> http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/DebianBlue+(Animated+Slideshow)?content=75289
>
> http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Debian-Bling+(Animated+Slideshow)?content=75293
> -- note: this one is more of an example of "what not to do!"
> Some of the wallpapers from vladstudio.com also work decently well
> with these XML files.
>
> This feature can be very cool if done right, but it definitely needs
> good artwork to go with it.
>
> I've also taken the time to 'hack together' a theme using the iGoogle
> 'teahouse' theme's artwork; this at once shows how cool it can be, and
> shows how odd things can look when objects move around in the images.
> I've attached the theme here; the XML currently has hardcoded paths,
> and needs to be placed in /usr/share/backgrounds , so the XML file
> will be /usr/share/backgrounds/teahouse/teahouse.xml .

ATM, this feature doesn't work well at all. It's totally CPU driven and
on every box I've tried it on the transition is bad. Usually ticky. Like
a *real* low frame-rate. Various resolutions, right up to a dual-core box.

Also there's some issue where the fade or transition time can't be set
below 15seconds or so.

To be done by default I think the feature needs work.

-Cory \m/