[ubuntu-art] Wiki - argument mapping

Sumit Agarwal sumit.chandra.agarwal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 19:52:26 BST 2008

Just saw this MIT Center for Collective Intelligence tutorial on
'argument mapping'. Could be *very* helpful in the Ubuntu wiki for
moving ahead on new designs, issues, and solutions. This certainly isn't
just applicable for the art team, but we could test the technique and
hopefully prove it for use in a larger context.
Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2w2WBCn7ug
The concept is fairly simple and common-sense, but good. The basic idea
is that discussion should be structured according to *type* and
*content* of post, rather than by time. Post type:
-Issue
-Idea (a way to resolve an issue)
-Pro (advantage of an idea)
-Con (disadvantage of an idea)

Each issue may have multiple ideas. Each idea may have its own issues.
Ideas may have pro's and con's, but issues may not.

-Sumit

P.S. I think this might help us focus on solving *issues* rather than
generating a list of different ideas that we think are cool but aren't
necessarily addressing any problems with Ubuntu. We can still have all
those same ideas, but now at least we'll be able to place them alongside
like ideas that are directed at the same issue (and maybe we'll realize
that these ideas address issues we didn't even think of!)