[ubuntu-art] ubuntu-art Digest, Vol 27, Issue 17

Misosaki higashiki at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 23:36:21 BST 2007

Hey Nothlit, and thanks for responding. It's good to have a discussion
going.

nothlit wrote:
> In terms of documentation-frustration, it is unlikely (afaik, and feel
> free to correct me, those in the know) for any of the community
> artists' work, to be chosen as a default. The guidelines, are there to
> just make sure that people go in the right direction, and are
> intentionally loose to allow for creativity. There is no wrong
> direction persay. Their work will still be appreciated and likely
> placed into the community package.
>
> Palette-- we're not really allowed one.

Well, if that were the case, then what is the role of designers in the
initiative? Maybe the description should be changed to contribution for
the package and not for the default itself, as the latter seems to be
determined by a number of unwritten, i.e. unstated from the start in the
wiki, factors.

The lack of a palette is problematic,  as it's a means by which
consistency can be maintained and helps get designs on the "right" track.
> As for the forum ambassadors acting as a liason, that is a fantastic
> idea. Much thanks again, 23meg.
> Roadmap:  Actual artwork, is a thing that will most likely stay with
> the artist, until they are ready and post it to the website. Some of
> the work and most of the discussion goes on in chats between the
> artists-- as an ad hoc thing.. While I don't think formalising such a
> process would be a good idea, I welcome any suggestions on how to make
> more apparent the progress that is going on.

Would just like to say thanks to 23meg as well. It will go quite some
way in maintaining community confidence.

Roadmap more in the sense of a list of tentative dates when important
events occur, e.g. last day to make changes to posted work, etc. Doesn't
have to be anything formal, it's just to give the community and artists
who want to join a sense of the timeline. The community can watch the
planning and execution unfold (even if the decision-making rests
elsewhere) and give artists feedback early on, the artists (especially
if they're very busy or have multiple projects going) can keep tabs on
the dates and have an eye on the bigger picture.
> While not completely specific to your mail, there is something I want
> to address: there is a reason why irc and the mailing list is used,
> rather than the forums. People want to get work and discussion done--
> and such places are where people are located that will help them
> achieve that end. Posting it to a forum potentially leads to a lot of
> offhand, unhelpful comments and such (Drive-bys). In terms of
> productivity, using the two other sources of discussion are a wise
> choice. That being said, I reiterate that the ambassadors as a liason
> in the future is a good thing.
>
> Nothlit. (Feel free to correct me on any of the statements I've made!)

IRC and the mailing list are fine -- sometimes the community might not
need to know about every issue that comes up in the whole process.
However, when people want to know how some things are done or when
something is due to be approved, the IRC and mailing list archives may
not be the best way about it. This is where, as I previously suggested

Regards,

Misosaki