[ubuntu-art] Art.ubuntu.com

Matthew Nuzum mattnuzum at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 19:28:02 BST 2007

OK, here are the technical problems I'm proposing to solve with this solution:

 * A place for art-team members to post artwork and theme related
resources (images, sound files, icon themes, archives) in such a way
that they are accessible to all in the community
   * Other art-team members (maybe community members) can post comments
      * comments can have attachments
   * New revisions of artwork can be attached and tracked in
chronological order (i.e. original posted, comments posted, new
revision posted in response to comments, more comments, etc. all show
in order)

 * A way to categorize these posts, suggested categories could be
   * One of:
     * Community contributed graphics
     * Gutsy
     * Hardy
   * And one or more of:
     * wall paper
     * usplash
     * icon theme
     * etc.
   * And a "free tagging" field where contributors can suggest their
own additional tags

Drupal can do all of the above, also, there is discussion about adding
openid support to launchpad
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/1169> in which case we may
be able to authenticate against launchpad to ensure art-team members
have special permissions.

Additionally, Drupal provides RSS support, including separate RSS
feeds on a per-category basis, so their could be an RSS feed for
artwork for Hardy, and a separate one for community contributed works.

Finally, the canonical sysadmins are familiar with supporting Drupal
and I expect little complaint from them if we ask to have them install
it.

For an example, see my blog, specifically this post here:
http://www.bearfruit.org/blog/2007/08/21/shooting-a-cake-and-eating-it-too
(sorry for the shameless self-promotion)

I don't have "attachments for comments" enabled, but you get the
general idea... the post can contain a mix of (some) html and any
number of attachments. There is ample support for categorizing and
categories can be listed in the left hand nav.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode