[ubuntu-art] Technical reality based concept art.

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 22:20:55 GMT 2007

On 28/11/2007, Cory K. <coryisatm at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Álvaro Medina Ballester wrote:
> > Hope this time we're talking about the same thing ;)
>
> Unfortunately no.
>
> Something more akin to this: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt/Tutorials
>
> How things are created and how they work.

Cory, as much as I would like your idea about a reference doc on what can,
and what can't, be done in a Gnome theme - and what requires changes to
theme engines and/or metacity; I just don't think it can be done.

The documentation for what can be done with a theme engine would 99% likely
become so long and technical that no-one except die harders would read and
understand it. And by die harders I mean people who would have no problem
hacking up their own theme engine anyway.

Besides the stuff that is possible in theory might not be feasible to
implement for a LTS release like Hardy. Our theoretical documents would
become even longer and more technical if this important information was
added...

Alternative: Put some docs on the wiki that tells you howto make mockups
that makes it easy to spot impossible feats.

Here's how: Take of in a screenshot of an actual theme. Each time you do a
manual tweak add a red arrow and a little info-box saying "transparent
toolbar here". This way it would be trivial to pinpoint places that might be
of shady business.

Cheers,
Mikkel