[ubuntu-art] yet another mockup (greenish one)

Kenneth Wimer kwwii at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 25 23:32:37 GMT 2007

On Monday 26 November 2007 00:15:13 Philip Newborough wrote:
> On Nov 25, 2007 10:54 PM, Troy James Sobotka <troy.sobotka at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps a few questions and you can evaluate it yourself:
> >
> > 1) Do you feel gloss is contemporary?  Can you site any
> > contemporary trend from a designer / art / photography
> > magazine that would suggest that glossy / shiny is
> > heading back into mainstream?  Are there perhaps other
> > styles that might be not only more fresh but more evocative
> > of a potential Ubuntu 'identity'?
> >
> > 2) Does green feel close to Ubuntu's lineage considering
> > its brown hues of past?
> >
> > 3) Does grass seem distinctive and innovative considering
> > the operating system landscape?  Leopard pre-releases and
> > Vista have both featured grass wallpapers.  Is duplication
> > and imitation something that you wish Ubuntu to forward
> > as a trend?
> >
> > 4) Ubuntu has strict rules regarding the presentation of
> > its official logo.  Were you aware that there are rules
> > governing the colours laid out in the official logo?  Do
> > you think that Mark Shuttlworth would be willing to stray
> > from the default logo colours presented in the past three
> > to four years?  Do you think it would be wise for a company
> > such as Coca-Cola to stray from their brand logo of red and
> > white?  Pepsi to stray from their brand logo of blue, white,
> > and red?
> >
> > 5) On a technological note, is the mock you presented viable?
> > Does translucency currently exist as you have it presented?
> > Is the visual styling of the menu etc. currently attainable
> > with the codebase?
> >
> > 6) Having considered the audience you are designing this for,
> > do you believe it helps to create an emotional attachment to
> > the Ubuntu identity?  Does it have a clear voice or tepid
> > delivery?  Does it have enough body to create a full fledged
> > motif from for marketing and further material?  Is the palette
> > rounded out enough to support such a presentation?
> >
> > Hope these questions help to illuminate possible future direction.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > TJS
>
> Is it just me or did anyone else find this message a little rude and
> rather intimidating?

I for one, found it very based in reality and not intimidating. Actually, I
would have said about the same thing. Asking questions of the author is a
good way for everyone to sit back and think about what they are doing before
they start drawing things which include unrealistic things like changing our
logos/branding. Not to mention the fact that we are trying to move away from
the gloss, not towards it - anything that everyone else already does today is
something that we do not want to do. As a rule we want to move forward and
not just "keep up" with the others.

--
Kenneth