[ubuntu-art] Curiousity:)

Damian Vila damianvila at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 23:53:34 GMT 2007

Sorry for the double mail, I just found the interview in english:
http://www.abclinuxu.cz/clanky/rozhovory/mark-shuttleworth?page=1

The interesting point:

*4) How are you looking forward to KDE 4? Is there a possibility of
KDE 4 ever displacing Gnome as the default 'desktop of choice' for Ubuntu?*

That's interesting. I'm really looking forward to Plasma and I've seen
that Plasma is starting to land in some of the latest snapshots of
KDE 4. I think there's some great technology work being done there.

I think it's unlikely that KDE replaces Gnome as default Ubuntu desktop.
And the main reason is that we don't, at this stage, have the same level
of confidence in the KDE project's ability to deliver predictable
release schedules. You know, the Ubuntu release schedule, release
process is a very important part of what we do, and Gnome has exactly
the same release philosophy that we do, which is that it's very
important to release predictably every six months. Because KDE doesn't
do that, it would be much more difficult just to deliver the same level
of predictability and planning to the operating system. So for the
moment I think we will stick with Gnome.

*5) So it's not exactly about technical merits. It's about availability
and about you being able to base the schedule on Gnome?*

Yeah, there were two main drivers for us choosing Gnome as the first and
therefore default desktop. The first was their commitment to the six
month release schedule – and they actually had a track record of doing
that. And I believe that KDE could do this. I'm strongly encouraging KDE
to adopt the same release schedule as Gnome, because I think they would
become more widely tested and more widely adopted if they did this.

And the second thing was Gnome's real commitment to usability. They
really care about how easy to use the desktop is. And KDE, at that time,
was more interested in fancy features. So while there's room in the
world for both of these philosophies, we need to pick one. And those
values were closer to what we were looking for. So we went with Gnome.

We have a fantastic community project in Kubuntu which works very
closely with the KDE community. I would love to see Kubuntu get more
downloads, wider adoption, and broader interest. But at this stage it
can't be the default desktop for Ubuntu.

Regards,

D.